About Me

My photo
I am a first-time Mum to daughter, Lily, born December 2010 and am currently home on maternity leave. Also living in the Zoo with Lily and me is my partner Kai, the Jessie-dog and the Tippy-cat

Sunday 27 February 2011

One man's (or woman's) problem is another man's (or woman's) opportunity

I've been looking forward to my ante-natal group reunion for a while now.  We were the first of the group to have our babes, so although the other girls were envious for a while that we had Lily while they were still waiting for their special stork delivery, it feels like Ive been waiting sooooo long to see everyone again. Today was the big day...

I enjoyed my NCT classes, mostly, if I'm honest, because of the people I met.  The info was.... just info, but the friendships Ive made are what I value most.  We were a fairly large group; 8 couples, I think.... Well, let me re-phrase that, 7 couples and me and my 'part-timer' partner Kai (not a part-time partner, but just a part time attender!).  I'm not really going to slag him off for missing HALF of our classes, as his excuses were legitimate - 1 late shift, 1 night away with work, and 1 trip to South Africa for a stag do.  But let's be honest, I don't think he shed a tear for having to miss the sessions.

So when the date for the reunion was announced, we made sure he made the work rotas so he was going to be off for the day.  There was a slight moment of panic in the weeks leading up to today when he thought England was playing rugby today, but thankfully that match was yesterday.  There was no escaping it now, he was going to have to come and be social!  He was going to have to talk about his feelings! He was going to have to listen to other people talk about theirs...

And then it happened........
Whether Kai managed to get a direct line to the plumbing Gods last night, I have no idea, but this morning, after feeding Lily, I stumbled, a little bleary-eyed, down to the kitchen to make a cuppa, and was rudely awaken (properly) when I stepped into the kitchen an immediately got a soaker!!!  THE KITCHEN WAS FLOODED!

So after calls to British Gas and the landlord and after removing kitchen units, the realisation of the gravity of the situation dawned on Kai... Someone was going to have to say home all day a wait for the plumber!  He had been rescued!

And so I went solo to the reunion....

The end result of today's chaos in the Zoo:
The plumber (in the horrible florescent orange van) couldn't fix the pipe
The baby now hasn't had a bath for two nights (last night she stayed up too late watching the rugby)...
The house is a total mess as kitchen units have been emptied everywhere...

But, with a glass of wine in one hand, a tummy full of Kai's spag bol, and the baby snoring (as proven by the little green lights on the baby monitor - no red!!!!), it's a good Sunday night.  Who would have thought the day would turn out like this...

Hope you're having a good night too.
xo

1 comment: